Fire Safety Tips
Some lesser known facts:
Fire Doubles in Intensity every 30 Seconds
So you should exit the area and call the Fire Department at 911 whenever fire's detected. You're better off not trying to fight it, unless you're trained.
Most Houses contain high amounts of Hydrocarbon based furniture.
Most Sofa's and Chairs contain synthetic foams based on petroleum products that burn at double the intensity of older furniture and produce a much more hazardous and sever smoke.
Fires Need to be Reported (Even if they're Out)
The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control tracks fires that occur in the State. Small fires that are put out by an individual need to be reported to maintain accurate statistics. Also,if an appliance is involved in ignition, there may be a need to recall the item if several are involved in similar fires.
Some Safety Tips:
Know Your Escape Routes
People often panic during emergencies and have difficulty functioning normally. In addition, being as fast and efficient as possible is generally critical. Therefore, it is best to be fully prepared. By having the following items ready, you help to reduce the time that is needed to react to an emergency. This could reduce the damage and/or injuries that may result.
Post emergency phone number on or near the telephone. Ensure that house numbers are clearly visible from the street. Keep one or more multi-purpose ABC type fire extinguisher in the house. All household members should know where to find the extinguishers and how to use them. Be sure the extinguishers are in good working order and fully charged. Keep a flashlight in good working order accessible in the event of a power failure. Ensure that smoke detectors are placed throughout your home. Test them on a monthly basis. Install a carbon monoxide detector and know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Keep all containers of flammable or volatile liquids tightly capped and stored away from ignition. Purchase a first aid kit for your home and each vehicle. Attend CPR training. Plan a minimum of two escape plans from each room of your home. Keep all hallways, heavy traffic areas and exits clear and well lit. Be sure that all family members understand how to Stop, Drop & Roll.
Install Smoke Detectors
Fires spread very rapidly. Most of the injuries and deaths that occur due to a fire are actually caused by the smoke rather than the fire. Ensuring that your home has adequate smoke detectors and proper placement throughout your home is critical to your safety. Smoke detectors provide early warning and therefore allow you and your family to escape as early as possible.
At least one smoke detector should be installed on each floor of your home.
Be sure that there is one near each bedroom. Install detectors either on the ceiling or 6-12 inches below the ceiling on the wall. Keep them away from air vents. Install, clean and test detectors according to manufacturers instructions. Be sure that the grills are clean so they can detect smoke as early as possible. Test your detectors monthly. Replace bulbs and batteries as needed. Educate your children regarding what a smoke detector is, how to recognize the alarm and how to escape if it goes off. Replace your smoke detectors if they do not operate properly.
If you detect a slight odor of gas, call your gas company or propane provider. If the odor is strong, call the fire department immediately. Even a very small spark can ignite the gas fumes. These sparks can be caused by any electrical device. The simple act of turning on a light switch could create an explosion when there are fumes in the air.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death. Installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home is advised. If you do install a detector, be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully as they need to be placed away from sources of humidity and heat.
It is important that everyone knows the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning since they are similar to the flu. Instruct all family members to inform each other if they suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. If so, leave the house immediately and call the fire department. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Many home accidents and fires start in the kitchen. Here are some safety tips to follow:
Keep flammable items away from the stove and oven. Towels and pot holders should not be hung on or near a stove. Roll up long or loose sleeves while cooking. They can easily catch fire or catch on pot handles, overturning the contents and causing scalds. Ensure that ventilation systems and exhaust fans are functioning properly. Use them while cooking. Extension cords and appliance cords should be located away from both the range and sink. Move appliances closer to outlets so that extension cords aren't needed. If extension cords must be used, install wire guides to keep them away from the stove, sink and other working areas. Install Ground Fault Interrupt Circuits in outlets near water sources. These will detect electrical faults and shut off the electricity before serious injury or death occurs. Equip your kitchen with adequate lighting over the stove, sink and work areas where cutting occurs. Never use a swivel chair to reach high places. Keep a step stool in your kitchen. Never leave food unattended while cooking. Supervise children in the kitchen at all times. Keep small children at a safe distance from hot items by using play pens, high chairs, gates, etc. Keep pot handles turned to the back of the stove. Keep a fire extinguisher accessible and know how to use it. Keep all detergents and cleaning products out of reach of children. Do not use tablecloths or placemats when toddlers are present. They may pull them down and become burned or otherwise injured when hot or heavy items fall as a result.
Bathrooms are another area where injuries commonly occur. The following tips will reduce the likelihood of injuries if followed:
Install Ground Fault Interrupt Circuits in all bathroom outlets. These will detect electrical faults and shut off the electricity before serious injury or death occurs. Water temperature should be set at 120 degrees Fahrenheit or lower. Always check the water temperature with your hand before entering the bath or shower. Keep all medications out of reach of children and in child-safe containers. Dispose of all outdated medications or medications that are no longer used. Store all medication in the containers they came in. Equip all bathtubs and showers with non-skid mats, abrasive strips or other surfaces that prevent slipping. Install a grab bar in all bathtubs and showers. Install a nightlight or glow wall switch. Unplug all small electrical appliances such as curling irons, hair dryers and razors when not in use. If they fall into the water while plugged in, lethal shock could occur. Use non-skid mats and rugs.
Children are especially susceptible to injury. If you have small children living in or visiting your home, the following tips should be implemented.
Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairways. Accordion gates should not be used as they can cause strangulation. Toy chests should have no lid or a safe closing mechanism to prevent small children from becoming trapped inside and suffocating. Keep access to areas where dangerous products are stored blocked from children. This includes cabinets where medications, sharp objects, harmful chemicals and cleaning supplies are kept. This also includes basements, garages and gun cabinets. Keep children away from windows so they cannot fall out. Keep outlet plugs covering all unused electrical outlets. Ensure that the cords from drapes, blinds and other window coverings are not looped at the ends. If they are looped, cut them and keep them out of reach as they can cause strangulation. Crib mattresses should fit snugly with no more than two fingers gap between the mattress and crib railing. Crib slats should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart. Install stop guards on drawers to prevent children from pulling them onto themselves. Keep matches and lighters out of reach of children.
Educate children to stay away from poisonous items and other dangerous items. Keep syrup of Ipecac in your home but do not use it unless instructed to by a physician, poison center or other emergency agency. Teach your children to stop, drop & roll if their clothes start on fire. Keep small, chokable items out of reach. Keep purses out of reach as they typically contain items that are potentially dangerous such as medications, matches and chokable items. Keep access to pools and hot tubs locked. Never leave a child unattended for even a moment in these areas.
Stop, Drop & Roll
If your clothes start on fire, the following steps are critical to minimizing the injuries that will occur. Ensure that all family members understand these steps clearly.
Stop immediately. Do not run. Running can worsen the flames by fanning them. Drop to the ground. Roll until the flames are extinguished. If someone else's clothing is on fire, instruct them to stop, drop and roll. A heavy coat or blanket can also be used to help smother the flames. This is important to remember if the person is panicking and does not stop, drop and roll. Cool the burned area by immersing it in cold water until emergency personnel arrive.
Any Questions can be directed to the Honeoye Falls Fire Department
via email, letter, or Phone.
Our NON-EMERGENCY number is 624-1100
If you would like to arrange a home safety inspection contact us.
We would be happy to come take a look and
make any recommendations needed.